This happens because a Master Template has been applied to an inventory item after item ledger entries without lot/serial numbers have been posted.
- Create a temporary Item Tracking Code Card (Administration > Application Setup > Warehouse > Setup – Inventory > Item Tracking Code) with just the code with no fields checked on the Serial Number, Lot Number or Misc. tabs.
- Make a temporary change so the Item Template is now using the temporary item tracking code created in No. 1 above. (Administration > Application Setup > Company Setup > Setup Master Templates. F5 and choose the correct Data Template. Change the Default Value for the Item Tracking code.)
- Apply the Item Template to the effected item number card. (Item card > Functions >Apply Template. Check the Item Tracking tab to make certain it is the new code.)
- Make the appropriate adjustment in the Item Journal to offset the entry with item tracking.
- Apply the Item Template to the effected item number (to add item tracking back on the item)
- Remove the temporary line on the Item Template that was added in No 2 above.
- Delete the temporary Item Tracking Code Card that was added in No 1 above.